Katy Smith is the Coaching Manager and a Life Member of the Waverley Little Athletics Centre Inc. She has been involved at the Centre for 9 years, has been a member of the Committee for 6 years and is the longest serving Secretary, surpassing Life Member Anne Rennie, who was Secretary from 1982/87.
Katy’s involvement began in the 2012/13 season, when her two eldest children joined the Centre. Katy volunteered as a General Official at different events on a weekly basis, while looking after her youngest child who could not participate yet.
At the AGM in 2015, Katy decided it was time to step up and join the Committee. Katy nominated herself from the floor for Secretary, a position that no one wanted to fill and a position that the Centre had trouble keeping filled from year to year. Katy settled into the responsibilities of Secretary with ease, which included; organising Committee meetings, agendas and minutes, correspondence, LAVic affiliation paperwork, incorporation paperwork, summer tenancy with City of Monash and attending to all incoming enquiries. Katy’s first year on the Committee was invaluable, especially during the mid-year change of President. She ensured that the Centre and administration ran smoothly during this transition. In addition, Katy was one of three Committee Members that helped fill the vacant Registrar position, co-organising registration day, registrations, patches and selling uniforms. She also organised the promotional stall at the Glen Shopping Centre to showcase WLAC to the general public. Katy also formed part of the early set up crew, attended the LAVic AGM (conference), became a Level C walk judge, walk judged, helped at Region & State Events and assisted with school bookings.
Katy continued in her role as Secretary during the 2016/17 season, as well as taking on all the small jobs behind the scenes that no one else wanted to do. Katy took over managing the school bookings, organised the Centres new defibrillator through a state government initiative and attended the new Child Safe Standards seminars which is a requirement by law. She also continued to help at Region & State events, relay coaching, continued to assist the Registrar and all other Committee Members, organised marketing & sponsorship, end of season trophies, yearly handbook and the promotional board on Springvale Road.
From 2017/18, Katy took over as Results Manager, holding dual Committee Positions. This role involved printing and organise weekly recording sheets, inputting hand written results, monitoring PB’s, standards and records, generating PB icy pole lists and certificates and uploading results to ResultsHQ. Katy resigned from this position at the conclusion of the 2019/20 season to allow for someone else to take over this role.
Katy continued taking on more responsibilities from 2017/18; Championship Team Manager at all Region & State events, organising relay teams, athletes and duties for our parents at each championship event; Cross Country Manager, liaising with Knox, organising our athletes weekly and the end of season trophies; organising and hosting school athletics bookings on at our Centre. In addition, Katy has managed; the administration of the Centre, liaising with schools, liaising with the Monash Council and our senior club, keeping up with our Incorporation requirements, walk judging, early set up and packing up, opening and closing the car park gates and setting up the A frames each week at Little Athletics, assisting/co-managing the Registrar inside on a Saturday at the administration table, organised the production of and selling of uniforms, sponsorship and marketing, Centre trophies and certificates, updating and organising the Centre booklet, assisting the Treasurer with banking and finance requirements, Canteen Managing (purchasing of stock, running Canteen), Centre flyers and promotions within schools and shopping Centres, managed our registration information day, attended weekly coaching sessions and liaised with coaches, attended SMR delegates meetings, helped keep our website and Facebook up to date with regular posts and photos, organising our AGM paperwork, organised Bunnings BBQ fundraiser and community table, organising and updating our noticeboards and promotional materials, assisted in organising Presentation Day/Night and helping set up and pack up at the event, setting up lost property, bananas, blue bibs & sign in sheets on Saturdays… you name it, Katy has helped do it!
During our 50th anniversary season, Katy organised the production of our commemorative key rings and most of the events for on the day. It was a fantastic day to be a part of and for that, we thank her for her efforts in organising this memorable event.
Sponsorship and Marketing has been the Centres downfall since 2018/19, but Katy has worked hard along with other Committee Members sourcing new Sponsors and ensuring that our existing sponsors remain invested. Katy has also organised the Centres flyers, contacting schools for marketing and is an administrator on our Facebook page, regularly updating posts and uploading pictures trying to promote the Centre.
We also need to extend a big thank you to Peter for his contribution as one of our First Aid officers and the Cooke children, Sarah, Emma and Luke, for helping set up, pack up and assisting in the canteen each week.
In 2019/20, Katy was awarded Life Membership at the Waverley Little Athletics Centre In., in recognition of her exemplary service to the Centre.
Katy was also awarded the Little Athletics Australia #LittleAthsCommunityHero award for her service during the 2019/20 season.
At the 2021 AGM, Katy stepped down as Secretary after 6 years and took over as Coaching Manager.
- 2019/20 - Life Member
- 2019/20 - LAA #LittleAthsCommunityHero
Qualifications & Courses
- 2015/16 - Level C Walk Judge
- 2012/15 - General Official
- 2013/14 - U7 Assistant Age Group Leader - Waverley Open Day Key Official
- 2014/15 - U6 Assistant Age Group Leader - Waverley Open Day
- 2015/16 - Canteen Assistant
- 2015/16 - Co-Registrar
- 2015/16 - Representative - LAVic Minifest - Healsville
- 2015/21 - Committee - Secretary
- 2015/22 - Administration
- 2015/22 - Early Set Up Crew
- 2015/22 - Walk Judge
- 2016/17 - Long Jump Chief - Waverley Open Day
- 2016/17 - U10 Relay Coach
- 2016/20 - Representative - LAVic AGM & Conference
- 2016/23 - Child Safety Officer
- 2017/18 - Representative - LAVic SGM
- 2017/18 - U11 Relay Coach
- 2017/18 - U9 Relay Coach
- 2017/19 - Canteen Assistant
- 2017/19 - Cross Country Manager
- 2017/20 - Committee - Results Manager
- 2017/20 - Region Delegate
- 2017/20 - Relay Coordinator
- 2017/20 - Team Manager
- 2018/19 - U10 Relay Coach
- 2018/20 - SS Relay Coach
- 2019/20 - Canteen Manager
- 2019/20 - High Commendation - Sir John Monash Volunteer of the Year Awards
- 2019/20 - U11 Relay Coach
- 2020/22 - Championship Team Manager
- 2021/22 - Committee - Acting Secretary
- 2021/22 - Relay Coordinator
- 2021/22 - U13 Relay Coach
- 2021/22 - U14 Relay Coach
- 2021/23 - Committee - Coaching Manager
- 2015/16 - Venue Set Up - Glen Waverley Primary School
- 2015/16 - Venue Set Up - Huntingtower Primary School
- 2015/16 - Venue Set Up - St. John Viannies Primary School
- 2016/17 - Venue Host Official - Albany Rise Primary School
- 2016/17 - Venue Host Official - Wheelers Hill Scouts
- 2017/18 - Venue Host Official - St. Mary Magdelenes Primary School
- 2017/19 - Chief Timekeeper (Gates) - Mount Waverley Primary School
- 2017/19 - Venue Host Official - Glen Waverley Primary School
- 2017/19 - Venue Host Official - St. Christophers Primary School
- 2017/19 - Venue Host Official - Weeden Heights Primary School
- 2017/20 - Venue Host Official - Mount Waverley Primary School
- 2017/20 - Venue Host Official - St. John Viannies Primary School
- 2017/21 - Venue Host Official - Huntingtower Primary School
- 2018/19 - Venue Set Up - Albany Primary School
- 2018/19 - Venue Set Up - Mount View Primary School (day 2)
- 2018/19 - Venue Set Up - Mount View Primary School (day 3)
- 2018/20 - Venue Host Official - Mount View Primary School (day 1)
- 2019/20 - Venue Host Official - St. Leonards Primary School
- 2019/21 - Venue Host Official - St. Mary Magdelenes Primary School
- 2020/21 - Chief Timekeeper (Gates) - St. Mary Magdelenes Primary School
- 2016/17 - General Official - SMR Relays General Official
- 2016/18 - General Official - SMR Track & Field General Official
- 2018/19 - Presentations Assistant - SMR Cross Country General Official
- 2019/20 - Chief Javelin Landing - SMR Track & Field Key Official
- 2016/17 - General Official - State Track & Field General Official
- 2017/18 - High Jump 1 - State Track & Field General Official
WLAC Life Members - 2019/20
Annual General Meeting
Stephen Whitehead, Katy Smith (Secretary), Dylan Cooper (President), Bruce Reynolds, Mark Cosham, Kathy Cosham & Merryn Ashcroft