Nicole Lopes is a Life Member and Past Athlete of the Waverley Little Athletics Centre Inc., competing at WLAC in the mid 1970's. Her best event was the 800m. Nicole has been involved for 20 years, making her one of our longest serving volunteers and is one of three Life Members that has not served on the Committee.
Waverley Little Athletics Centre Inc.
Nicole and her family joined the Waverley Little Athletics Centre during the 2000/01 season. Her involvement commenced as an Assistant Age Group Leader and has progressed from there. Over the years, Nicole has been a significant contributor, at Centre, Region and State Level. From 2002/05, Nicole played a vital role behind the scenes, particularly when her husband Steven was Centre President. Nicole never held a position on the Waverley Committee, but always supported the Committee Members by assisting with various jobs and picking up the loose ends. Some of these jobs included; organising and purchasing the weekly sausages, bread, onions and canteen stock, assisting with the Trivia Night, weekly key or general official at Centre level, helping at the WLAC membership stall at the Glen Shopping Centre, designing name badges for Committee Members, designing promotional flyers, fundraising, making fleece beanies at home, organising embroidery for uniforms, cross country clothing sales and overall, doing whatever had to be done & much more.
Southern Metro Region
Nicole became involved at SMR in 2005/06 and has since become one of the longest serving members of the Region. She has been a Region Key Official for 15 years and a Committee Member for 6 years. In 2005/06, when Nicole's husband Steven was the Region Controller of Officials, she assisted him with all the preparation and distribution of paperwork for the key and centre general officials and officiated as his assistant at Region Championships. For the past 14 seasons, Nicole has been processing entries for all Region events, assisting Steven during his time as Organising Secretary and later taking on the Competition Secretary role. Responsibilities of this role includes; Region entry processing, organising lane draws, developing programs and timetables, formatting the program booklets, preparing & formatting all the event paperwork and collating results. Nicole also served as SMR Webmaster from 2014/19, which includes maintaining the website and IMG/Sports TG, creating and maintaining registration portals for events and exporting data… all of which Nicole has done well before taking on this role.
Nicole has served as a Key Official at Region Championship events since 2005/06, predominantly as Chief Computer Operator and has been responsible for the processing of results. Nicole runs her own business and as a result, has only missed a small number of these Region events due to work commitments. In 2007/08, results were handled manually and from 2008/09, SMR transitioned to Meet Manager which allowed results to be collated automatically. At the conclusion of each Region event, Nicole spends time inputting and sorting results, prepares all the data reports for Centres and submits Region results to LAVic. SMR was the first Region to introduce Live Website Results and all the work to set this up was managed by Nicole. This was first introduced at Region Relays at Springvale in 2010 and Nicole set it up and implemented Live Results within other Regions and at State Level.
In 2008/09 when Meet manager was introduced, Nicole took the lead in its implementation across both the Region and State. She embraced Meet Manager and undertook the training when it was first rolled out, spending several hours day and night learning and familiarising herself with the software. Nicole understood MM's functionality better than anyone else in the Region, State or Office. Since its introduction, Nicole has been called upon by the LAVic Office regularly to assist with queries and has always volunteered her time to go into the office and train new competition personnel over the years. The LAVic Competition coordinators she has trained and continued to assist over this period have been; Clare Burton, Lauren Dick, Matt Collister and Jennifer Chan and others. Nicole has always been willing to train them in MM and readily available to assist them with their email or phone enquiries pre and post all state events, and continues to do so.
Little Athletics Victoria
Nicole has been a State Key Official for 13 seasons, commencing in 2007/08. When Meet Manager was introduced in 2008/09 Nicole was appointed Chief Meet Manager computer operator for all State Championship events. She has Key Officiated at most State Championship and associated events since 2007. Nicole has represented SMR at Region Planning meetings and RAC Meetings since 2014 and has attended various Centrefest and Gala Award Dinners.
Photo Finish and Meet Manager were introduced at a Region & State Level and Nicole has spent countless hours of her own time setting up and testing the systems, inputting entries and results, printing sheets, bar codes and hip numbers, all at home, at work or at the respective venues. Nicole has been instrumental in setting up the Computer Networks, to allow for the communications between both Photo Finish and Meet Manager systems. Prior to each State Championship, Nicole often dedicated her Thursday and Friday, attending the different venues to set up and test Meet Manager and Photo Finish equipment. In the event that there were any issues with software or equipment, Nicole and her team would stay up the night before the event, well past midnight, fixing these issues. Half of these events were held at Country venues, such as Moe, Bendigo or Shepparton and they would be fixing issues from their motel rooms.
Little Athletics Australia/Australian Little Athletics Championships
Nicole was supposed to officiate at ALAC in 2008 in Melbourne but could not attend due to being sick. She subsequently officiated at the 2014 ALAC Championships as Chief Computer Operator, attending meetings prior to the event, setting up the networking of computers and liaising with Photo Finish in the days prior to the event and managing the results input, printing of results and cards and all associated duties involved on the day. She was even considered and offered toe opportunity to officiate at ALAC when held in one of the other States, but Nicole declined to other commitments.
Eastern Metro Region Relay Championships
Nicole assisted at the EMR Relay Championships from 2009/11, with Meet Manager, always offering where she could to teach the role to new people. On both occasions, this Championship event was the day after the Southern Metro Region Relays.
Mentone Relay Open Day
Nicole did the processing of all their entries via Meet Manager. She attended their preparation meeting during the week before, prepared their lane draws, worked out the timetable and formatted all the days’ event paperwork. She made all the changes for late entries, processed them all and then Key Officiated on the day processing all the results.
Nicole did the processing of all their entries via Meet Manager. She prepared their lane draws, worked out the timetable and formatted all the days’ event paperwork. She made all the changes for late entries and processed them all, then Key Officiated on the day processing all the results.
Waverley Open Day
Nicole has volunteered over the years at her home Centre Open Day. Prior to her involvement in results, Nicole was Marshalling Manager Key Official. Once we introduced on the day and live results, Nicole used her knowledge and experience as Results Input Key Official.
Honours & Recognition
Nicole Lopes is well respected throughout the Little Athletics Association. Her knowledge and experience is invaluable to the Association, Nicole has a calm nature and is dedicated to getting her job done in an efficient manner. Although her children finished Little Athletics in 2007/08, Nicole remained dedicated to volunteer at all levels of the association, Centre, Region, State and National Championship events. She has been back bone of SMR for a number of years and LAVic results.
On a number of occasions, Nicole has been nominated for the Little Athletics Victoria, Volunteer of the Year awards. In 2013/14, Nicole was awarded Bronze and in 2014/15, Nicole was awarded Silver.
In recognition of her continued support to the Association, especially with her children no longer involved in Little Athletics, Nicole was awarded the LAVic Meritorious Service Award in 2013/14.
Nicole was awarded LAVic Official of the Year in 2017/18, for her outstanding contribution the Association, along with receiving the Victorian Officials Award for the Southern Metro Region.
In 2018/19, Nicole was recognised for her commitment to Little Athletics, with a nomination endorsed by the LAVic Head Office, in the Vic Sport Volunteer of the Year Awards, "Victorian Community Official of the Year" category, in which Nicole was one of four finalists and was awarded Runner Up.
The Victorian Sport Awards is the night of nights for the Victorian sporting community; celebrating participants, coaches, organisers and the volunteers behind the scenes from all levels of sport in Victoria.
Each year the Victorian Sport Awards honours those who have made an outstanding contribution to sport in Victoria as individual or team athletes, coaches, administrators and volunteers from both metropolitan and regional areas in Victoria.
Entrants in the Awards are nominated by state sporting associations, regional sport assemblies, teammates, club members, coaches or their local community in recognition of their outstanding contribution to sport and active recreation.
Nicole Lopes - Little Athletics
Nicole officiates at regional and state levels and typically performs the role of 'Computer Chief' where she oversees the electronic results and the coordination of the photo-finish electronic timing equipment. In 2018, Nicole officiated at the Regional and State Relay Championships, Track and Field Championships and the Victorian Cross Country. Nicole is also a member of the Southern Metropolitan Regional Committee, and a Life Member the Waverley Little Athletics Centre.
In 2018/19, Nicole was awarded the LAVic Distinguished Service Award, in recognition for her continued support to the Association. She was the third Waverley volunteer to receive this award.
- 2008/09 - Life Member
- 2013/14 - LAVic Meritorious Service Award
- 2017/18 - LAVic Official of the Year
- 2017/18 - Victorian Officials Award (SMR)
- 2018/19 - LAVic Distinguished Service Award
- 2000/01 - U6 Assistant Age Group Leader
- 2001/02 - U9 Age Group Leader
- 2002/04 - Assistant Championship Team Manager
- 2003/04 - Leopards Team Manager
- 2003/04 - U9 Relay Coach
- 2003/05 - Clubroom Cleaner
- 2004/05 - Assistant U12 Relay Coach
- 2004/05 - Duty Roster Manager
- 2004/05 - Marshalling Manager - Waverley Open Day Key Official
- 2004/06 - Championship Team Manager
- 2005/07 - Recording
- 2005/08 - Track Marshalling Manager - Waverley Open Day Key Official
- 2008/09 - Life Member
- 2009/10 - Representative - LAVic Gala Award Dinner - Wheelers Hill
- 2009/11 - Marshalling Manager - Waverley Open Day Key Official
- 2011/12 - Representative - LAVic Gala Award Dinner - Sandown
- 2013/14 - Representative - LAVic Gala Award Dinner - Albert Park
- 2013/15 - Results Input - Waverley Open Day Key Official
- 2014/15 - Representative - LAVic 50th Anniversary Gala Dinner - Albert Park
- 2016/17 - Results Input - Waverley Open Day Key Official
Outside Centre Involvement
- 2007/12 - Meet Manager Chief - Mentone Relay Open Day Key Official
- 2009/14 - Meet Manager - Frankston Championship Day Key Official
- 2018/20 - Meet Manager Chief - Mentone Relay Open Day Key Official
- 2005/06 - Assistant Controller of Officials - SMR Track & Field Key Official
- 2006/07 - Assistant Communications - SMR Relays Key Official
- 2006/07 - Assistant Communications - SMR Track & Field Key Official
- 2007/08 - Computer Manager - SMR Relays Key Official
- 2007/08 - Meet Manager - SMR Cross Country Key Official
- 2007/10 - Meet Manager Chief - SMR Track & Field Key Official
- 2008/12 - Computer Operator - SMR Cross Country Key Official
- 2008/15 - Meet Manager Chief - SMR Relays Key Official
- 2009/11 - Meet Manager - EMR Relays Key Official
- 2011/12 - Meet Manager Chief - SMR Track & Field Key Official
- 2013/14 - Meet Manager Chief - SMR Track & Field Key Official
- 2013/15 - Computer Operator - SMR Cross Country Key Official
- 2014/19 - Webmaster - SMR Committee
- 2015/20 - Chief Computer Operator - SMR Cross Country Key Official
- 2015/20 - Chief Computer Operator - SMR Relays Key Official
- 2016/20 - Chief Computer Operator - SMR Track & Field Key Official
- 2017/18 - Victorian Official Winner - (SMR)
- 2018/20 - Competition Secretary - SMR Executive Committee
- 2020/21 - Competition Secretary - SMR Committee
- 2007/09 - Computers - State Track & Field Key Official
- 2007/09 - Meet Manager Operator - State Multi Key Official
- 2007/11 - Meet Manager - State Cross Country Key Official
- 2008/10 - Computer Operator - State Relays Key Official
- 2009/10 - Meet Manager - State Track & Field Key Official
- 2009/10 - Meet Manager Chief - State Multi Key Official
- 2010/11 - Meet Manager Chief - State Track & Field Key Official
- 2010/20 - Chief Computers - State Multi Key Official
- 2010/20 - Chief Computers - State Relays Key Official
- 2011/19 - Chief Computer Operator - State Track & Field Key Official
- 2013/14 - Chief Computer Operator - LAVic 50th Anniversary Open Day & Region Challenge
- 2013/14 - LAVic Meritorious Service Award
- 2013/14 - LAVic Strategic Planning - SMR Representative
- 2013/14 - LAVic Volunteer of the Year - Bronze Award
- 2013/19 - Chief Computer Operator - State Cross Country Key Official
- 2014/15 - LAVic Volunteer of the Year - Silver Award
- 2014/19 - LAVic Region Planning - SMR Representative
- 2015/16 - Chief Computers - State Multi Key Official - Part 2
- 2015/16 - Results - State Road Relays Key Official
- 2016/19 - Chief Computer Operator - State Road Relays Key Official
- 2017/18 - LAVic Official of the Year - LAVic Official of the Year
- 2017/19 - Chief Computer Operator - State Cross Country Relays Key Official
- 2018/19 - LAVic Distinguished Service Award
- 2018/19 - Vic Sport Volunteer of the Year - Runner Up
- 2013/14 - LAA 50th Anniversary Gala Dinner - Geelong
- 2013/14 - Meet Manager Chief - ALAC Key Official